Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Legacy Continues: One on One with Kernal Roberts

By Karen L. Richardson

Woven deep into the cultural fabric of Trinidad and Tobago is the music of Aldwyn “Lord Kitchener” Roberts. A decade after the death of the foremost steelpan composer and roadmarch king of the seventies and eighties, his commitment to excellence in music survives in the life of his son, Kernal.

“It is only obvious that my life would end up in this direction,” said Roberts from Kitch’s home in Diego Martin, Trinidad. “All the time I was in school, I used to get in trouble always pounding the bench. Playing music in my father’s band, all de time I wanted to make my own music.”

Kernal Roberts does not make music. He makes hits. He is responsible for writing and composing Bonnie and Clyde, Fly and Max It Up for soca diva Destra Garcia. As the Musical Director for Machel Montano HD, Roberts now writes exclusively for Machel Montano and Patrice Roberts

“Any song that come outta my camp is gonna be a hit song and Machel, everyone, Patrice, we all dedicated to that rule right now,” said Roberts. “I’m not spreading myself out anymore. Those days are done.” According to Roberts, not even family can break his focus. His sister, who serves in the army, is a vocalist who sings with Glenn Washington. Kernal says he will not be writing songs for his sibling unless she is able to commit wholeheartedly to taking his creations to the top of the charts.

“I is like one of them horses and dem. Eye patch on de left and on de right. I can only see straight,” said Roberts of his passion to succeed.

“The creativity part of it is always up, to start. With me, 100%, 24/7 music always play in my head like a radio,” said Roberts. “I’ll be composing silently sometimes, driving, and be humming to myself and I know the finished product just by listening to my brain. I go into deep meditation. I look for the theme, the concept, then you look for beautiful lyrics to embrace all of this.”

After 'Band of D Year' secured a roadmarch title for Patrice Roberts and Machel Montano in 2006, song-writer Kernal Roberts made plans to do it again.

In 2007, all eyes turned to the Machel Montano HD camp with the release of a down-tempo groovy song written by Machel Montano himself.

“It’s like every car you pass you hear [One More Time], every radio station, every corner, every bar, every club. It just took over the whole of Trinidad and Tobago,” said Roberts in praise of his close friend and colleague.

After the pace had been set, Roberts fueled his band with instant favourites like Higher Than High, Light It Up, and Down D Road. His method proved to be the right formula for carnival madness when the spirit of Jumbie possessed an entire nation.

“It’s carnival week and we’re on our way to winning our second roadmarch and it’s like there’s nobody behind us. Like we running by ourselves in de race,” said Roberts. Little did he know Jumbie would become the unofficial soundtrack to Carnival Tuesday, leaving all competition in the dust with 388 plays. Kernal’s second roadmarch victory in as many years was ushered in by an historically unparalleled margin. Shurwayne Winchester’s Open the Gate simple could not keep pace by comparison. The official first-runner up was heard a measly 34 times on the road. For the son of a ten-time roadmarch legend, making history was never an option.

“I knew I wasn’t going to pop down my life or turn to drugs or go on the streets to be misguided by friends or led astray and go to no pipe dreams,” said Roberts. “I didn’t put my head up in the clouds, hoping and praying to write a hit song or to join somebody band. I went on a straight, focused path, knowing that I had a legacy to upkeep for my father, and a legacy of my own to build.”

http://www.toronto-lime.com/news/news_2007_kernal_roberts_one_on_one.htm



2006 International Soca Award Winner ~ 'Favorite Soca Info Website'

No comments: